Friday, August 11, 2006

ah, activities co-chair




WARNING: this post is full of live, unadulterated emotion.

it seems i haven't really mused for awhile. i think that is what blogs are really about. i have just turned mine into a movie company...ideas, preproduction, premiere, etc.. so, a good musing vent is in order at this time. i am going to cover a lot of big themes, so hang on. i don't care if anyone reads this, im selfish. its for me.

okay. so i have a calling. activities co-chair. hmmm. i like the calling, but im pretty sure i got it because i didn't go to the activities. i decided i am conditionally social. some environments i love to be social, even crave some attention, others situation i prefer the more transparent look. well tonight we had a stake activity at the park. our ward was assigned, yup, you guess it, 'musical chairs,' actually you probably didn't guess it. so. bless my heart, the rest of the activities commitee couldn't be there, so i was lone musical man. if you didn't know this next fact about the moore, take note, because it is ingrained deep within us. when we are given a task, WE DO IT. usually it is the best we can do, but no matter what, if we say we are going to do it, we do it, or make sure it is covered. one of those good/crappy instincts. anywho. i show up there tonight to find only one other person i know. literally. at least it was someone to talk to during dinner...he probably felt the same way. two others trickled in, so that was good. they then announced that we would have be having activities. i guess that was my cue to go and be musical. retriving my stereo and killer mix cd specifically designed for optimal musical chairs (i told you we do things perfect) i made my way to where i placed my chairs all facing out. something was wrong, they were all facing in! with people in them! crap. so i explained that i had to kick them out because we needed to play musical chairs (BECAUSE THAT IS WHAT I WAS ASKED TO DO, AND DANGIT IM DOING IT.) so they nicely moved. i went to turn on my stereo to find that the batteries i bought at the dollar store weren't strong enough! (cheapness bites me again.) so i stupidly have to ask around for an extension cord. by a miracle i found a girl that had 2! so, i followed her to the car, not making eye contact with the group i condemned to the grass, they all most likely cursing me for making up "musical chairs" because i didn't want them in my seats. well. i got the cords, but they were super short and civilian, so we had to move the game. my nice ward helped their poor special ed activites co-chair move the game. now. i have a question for you all? how do you recruit people to play musical chairs? i know. i didn't really know either. after yelling like a lunatic to all that couldn't help but hear that musical chairs had officially begun (suprisingly no lines formed...) i decided to work with what i had. 2 girls from my ward and 3 girls that were in it for the candy. round one. good. round two, two of the candy girls dogged out saying that they feared they would kill each other (they were sisters.) gradually it was working, more and more people were coming over! but heaven forbid that providence shine upon me. no, it came alright, but in the form of water warfare. wouldn't you know it, but some OTHER ward decided to begin their activity of water balloons with my cute fortress of chairs as the focal point. this of course is not a good selling point for an already outcasted game. i temporarily closed down the game to save those that had helped me. i told them it was kind of like israel. on hold until the war was done. luckily they waited around until it was done, oh wait. no they didn't. i don't blame them. this is really where the story begins. there i was ALL BY MYSELF with a slew of white chairs and a water splashed stereo paused on a song from austin powers. "great" i thought. i waited around for a few minutes trying to see if anyone would come up and ask me to please open up the game again they wanted so desparately to play. seeing that that never happened, i told the man in charge that people weren't exactly flocking to musical chairs. he said to close it down and go and "mingle!" okay. so i closed 'er down. starts at 6pm, ends at 9pm. it is now 7:45ish. "mingle. mingle, i can do that," i thought. confidently i walked around to find people i knew to talk to. no one. well, maybe if i walk around some more, some will appear. nada. so i tried just sitting on a picnic table. no dice. i gave people looks...they looked away. suddenly i had fallen into 'water drinking mode.' this means i would just make my rounds, get a cup of water, and then drink it en route to get another cup. it was something to do. this was my mental thought at the time. "man, do i miss holly." fearing i would burst my bladder, i laid off of the water route and looked for something else. i needed to blend in. i saw some outcast girls that looked like they needed some friends, so i decided to be the nice guy and say hello. well. sat down, tapped into their conversation, realized that they were perfectly fine and cooler than me...they had plans to DO something after. i never said a word to them. now. you are thinking, "why didn't he leave when his game got voted off the island?" because of the MOORE HONOR CODE. THE FLYER SAID THEY NEEDED MODERATE CLEAN UP AT THE END AND DANGIT IM FULFILLING IT IF IT KILLS ME! so. i just sat there by this group of girls. at least i blended in! this was progression. yes, i got the usual 'sprinkler turn,' where they look towards you, but quickly past you so you don't think they are looking at you. i know i was the conversation piece later on as to why the musical chairs geek sat by us, but i got to that bitter-pleasant stage of not caring. so. there i cleaned out my phone's memory and people watched. 8:15. "AAAHHHHH! WHERE ARE YOU HOLLY!" eventually the people around me left, so stuck out again. that mean't more water! off to the water only to see the now cooler than me girls, i, like the group i ousted, didn't make contant. everywhere there was groups of people socializing! it was at that moment i realized how amazing it is to actually have friends! i know you are thinking, "why the freak didn't he just go and make some friends, or leave?" well, we already know the answer to number 2, but number 1 is...YOU KNOW YOU WOULDN'T, SO WHY SHOULD I!" sat in the chair a bit more. tried to look like there were people around me...didn't work to well. 8:50pm came around...those chairs were being loaded up. but not the last two because I SAID I WOULD PARTICIPATE UNTIL 9PM. 8:58 i made my rounds. i had a bag of candy. if i kept it, i wouldn't feel right turning in the recipt for reimbursement, so set out to distribute it to the people IM SURE would have eaten it if they had known musical chairs was going on instead of those lame games like volleyball, rocket launching, slippin' slides and flirting. they were grateful for the candy, and by the end i just told the group i didn't have any friends and was trying to get friends through candy. (true story.) they just nervously laughed. probably because i didn't. 9:05 (look at me magnifying my calling!) i finished taking the last of the crap that needed to be cleaned up to the leaders truck and i was outta there! phone in hand i called all who i had meticuliously planned to call in route back home to hang out. nothing. i felt so alone. sigh. well. it looks like its playing a computer game against loudboy over the internet (no offense loudboy.) right then, in comes my roommate josh, with his ladyfriend suzanne (we named her S-izzle, or just sizzle for short) laughing and giggling as they enjoyed a nice meal together. sigh. HOLLY! so. i went in and began playing mike. after he wasted me. we talked a bit more and i wrote this. THE END

(i do feel better now, but don't you hate those nights where you know it is lame, but you don't feel like making a difference in it? this was one of those nights.)

11 comments:

sugarbritches said...

I am sitting here with my jaw dropped. I thought it was just me! Apparently it's all the Moores, except maybe Valerie who seems to have inherited the social gene from Dad. Well Nat seems less socially retarted too, maybe Gary and Alicia OK, maybe it's just ME that has the socially retarded gene (and now Ryan)! Now, here are My thoughts... First, it's true, the Moore gene is compulsion to do a task to the inth degree, giving 110%, no matter what. We are incapable of slacking so matter how hard or uncomfortable it is. Second is the social issue. I am not technically shy, in fact, to most people I appear to be an extrovert. But I have the "lampshade" gene or more technically the "lush" factor. When I get in public, the more uncomfortable I am, the louder I get and the more bonoxious I get and the more I sound like I'm drunk and wearing the lampshade on my head. Recently I attended (under great protest and stress) a high council dinner. Many of the "in" crowd attends these dinners. We went around the room telling facts that no one knew about us. Of course I get super nervous and when it comes my turn I start babbling like drunk. So what interesting fact comes out about me? I decided to babble about the time my friend Sherrie and I played naked in field by our house (we were playing Adam and Eve)and the police had to go searching for us and we kept hiding so we wouldn't get caught. Yeah, that's a high priest story. I don't even remember if I even mention that I was only 4 or 5 at the time and not 16 or something like that. At the time I feel incredibly witty and assume that later everyone will come up to me and say, wow, you are so funny, please be my new friend. It doesn't happen, and as with most drunks I wake up the next day totally mortified at my behavior. This is partly why I never go to enrichment night or ward activties. I keep trying to understand we are supposed to go to them if we don't want to. My fear surface, who will I sit by? What if I sit somewhere and they don't really want me to sit by them. Kind of like in school when a dork comes and sits at your table and you all inwardly groan. I try to play it cool - ryan's water tricks etc are oh so familiar to me. I watch the clock, then it's out of there. THERE! I did my duty now leave me ALONE!!

Ryan you are lucky however, most people who get to know you really like you. Most people who get to know me are at first, surprised that I'm sort of funnyish because my general persona is "low profile" as someone once classified me. But the more the get to know me, they start to drift away as they realize my funniness, is actually scary and weird (I guess).

Why must I be so socially awkward? I like myself ok, I think I'm damn funny so to hell with all of you!

Loud Boy said...

I feel for you Ry-anne. I too suffer in social situations, yeah, hard to believe. I become the drunk that Sugarbritches speaks so fondly of. Thanks for the honorable mention at the end of your post, made me feel special. Oh and nice end to a great comment Sugarbritches. (only one comment . . . how odd)?

heidi said...

Awesome post Ryan. I could totally imagine it all...the awkward calling people over for the game, oh, and kicking people out of their seats (ha ha), the 5 people playing, the water balloon sabotage (jerks), the water rounds, the missing Holly, it's all so sad, yet so funny (maybe just to me). I have to admit, I would have been OUT of there as soon as I noticed that no one cared about the game and no one was going to notice if I didn't do it.

I can see Gary doing the same thing, although I can talk him out of fulfilling something now if I have a convincing case. It's nice when you're married, so you don't have to be a loner.

I liked your comment too Lisa. I totally think of you as being social, so when you explain that you're not really, it always surprises me.

heidi said...

P.S. I don't know if it's allowed for you to have Mandi's blog posted.

Mooryan said...

wow everyone. see, this is what blogs should be about...everyone contributing! some good insight on everyone's part. the only problem is now is that i don't know if i feel better about myself...or worse!

sugarbritches said...

I'm confused about the mandi's blog comment. What does it mean? And Mike, I WAS going to post twice but refrained. Proud of me?

mandi said...

That is painful, Ryan. (And funny.) I can relate only too well. I think the greatest struggle in my life is my inability to be social. So I do find a some comfort that others have the same problem.

My jaw dropped that Lisa thinks she's socially awkward. Whaaat? You always seem like the life of the party. Here's my impression of Moore/Rasmussen gatherings:
Moores: witty banter, laughing, joking, talking
Rasmussens: crickets chirping
Moores: loud, boisterous telling of stories, laughter, more witty banter
Rasmussens: someone yawns, cricket chirps
We are just a quiet family - especially around extroverts. If I had a nickel for every time I've been told I'm quiet...well, let's just say I could buy lots of candy for the baby. So I think you guys are lucky that you actually seem like extroverts, because quiet's just no fun at all.

In my old ward I got called as Enrichment night pianist. Can anyone think of a stupider calling? I'm sure it was just to make me go. So I would show up and play the hymn during the first five minutes and then quietly slip out the door and go home. I just couldn't take it. If I stayed I'd usually go home depressed that it was such an awkward experience. And sorry, but depression doesn't "enrich" my life. So that's my sad tale. I've been feeling guilty about Enrichment night lately, so I committed to go this Wednesday night and I'm totally DREADING it. But I will take your experience Ryan and remember that I'm not aloooone....even though I'm feeling...on my ooown... Sometimes I wish I was Stephen Hawking and could just type all my conversations with people. Now that's just sad.

heidi said...

Sorry Lisa, that P.S. was for Ryan.

sugarbritches said...

I imagine I am the subject of those meetings..."How can we get lisa campbell to attend enrichment" Well I've been asked to "help set up", teach a cake decorating class twice (everyone is sick of them but what else can they ask me to do- I get a courtesy 5 people who are probably paid to sit there). I was asked to bring some food item, and the stupidest, help pass out stupid handouts. Yeah because I'm sure no one else could do it but me, as I am skilled at flier passouts.

The last time I attended enrichment voluntarily was about 3 years ago when I decided yet again to loose weight in January and we were having a special guest speaker who was an expert at it. I was excited to be motivated. He was super blunt and entertaining. He drew a stick figure type person with a big round belly and had some analogy that the hole in your mouth is bigger than the hole...well were everything ends up. Point being, too food in, it ends up staying in as fat. It was funny. Afterward, this super skinny perfect lady came up to me and put her arm around me and whispered quietly, full of concern, "I hope you weren't offended by the speaker". Well I wasn't, until now. Why did she feel it necessary to point out that I was super fat and needed to be embarrassed by his fat drawing on the board. Now THAT embarrassed me. I still hate her.

mandi said...

Oh my gosh. I can't believe someone would say that! DUH Actually I can, because my husband's best friend's wife says things like that to me all the time and I'm surprised I haven't strangled her yet. (Fantasized about it many a time, though.) It's people like THAT that are the social retards. I don't blame you for never going again. But I'm sure everyone misses your mad handout skills!

holly fay said...

this is my most favorite blog ever ryan! hehe. that is why i love you. i wish i could have been there with you!