Sunday, May 20, 2007

musings on being greatly engaged...


first of all, shout out to holly's 22nd birthday yesterday! yay for her fer sure. we had a good time.
i'm not sure of what brought this up, and why i am blogging it, but it seems fun and will be good to reflect.
you never realize how much goes through your head until you feel a need/and or/ urge to share it with someone who is with you all of the time. now. i fer sure experienced this a lot on my mission as you are with your companion more than you are with your fiance (by the way, neither holly or i are fans of this word yet, but still haven't had enough guts to use 'lover' in place of it in public, although i think it would be hilariously awesome, 'hi, im ryan, and this is my lover, holly.') i mean, you even 'sleep in the same bed room, but not in the same bed,' (ask your local missionary about the hilariousness of this statement...then give them a referal.) so you find yourself thinking out loud a lot and just bouncing random ideas off of each other. however, despite what they say ("having a missionary companion just prepares you for having a wife,"...this statement always bothered me for obvious reasons.) you have a lot more pressing, and personal things to discuss with the woman you are spending eternity with than you do with an elder who you were assigned to and probably looks through your stuff when you are in the shower. anywho, i think that this closeness and freedom i feel that i can share whatever with holly, has lead to some annoyances...mainly in my mind.

i have a designer mind. not like a 'chanel #5 mind,' but that i think like a designer. looking back during my early years, i remember some of my thought processes, and they were geared that way, interesting. anywho. with this mind comes the wonderful constant recognition of detail. now, i make mental notes of it in my head, however, lately, i quickly just blurt it out at holly, and then wonder why the crap i did that. silly things like letting her know that this tile on the chili's restaurant table is the same lining the pool at my grandparents pool in arizona. that that t-shirt that guy is wearing is a pretty famous place in canada to shop, that that font is the same font used in such an such's ad, etc.. that is all i can think of now, but i know it has happened a lot. perhaps holly hasn't noticed, perhaps she has, but i constantly think, what a silly thing to keep sharing?! but, i guess it is a good thing, i share my most intimate thoughts...that that ikea sign is much to high and is overall making this part of I15 look like and industrial area.

this has been another random musing by ryan, if you enjoyed his writing on being engaged. you may also enjoy his previous posts involving the interestingness of being engaged, and what not to do at a ballroom performance.

4 comments:

heidi said...

it's extra fun when you're both designers and details are all you talk about! extra extra fun.

p.s. ikea is BEAUTIFUL! YES, I'M SHOUTING!

Dave & Elyse Hyatt said...

I too feel like I often blurt things out. Things that sound SO wonderful and comical in my head, but as I hear the beginnings of the sentence coming out of my mouth......i hear this other little voice (the voice I know I should be listening to) in my head saying, "trust me, you don't want to say that." Sometimes I stop midsentence and look around at everyone with a blank stare, and act as if I hadn't even begun talking at all. hmmm.....maybe this was one of those moments.....

sugarbritches said...

I think you should use the word "lover". I dare you. You can also use the fiance, only pronounce it ala raising arizona, fi-ance, two syllabells. ance, like lance. too much explanation. I think the over explanating thing of which you speak is a family trait. I do that all the time, I also spend my life saying, "oh did I say that outloud" I meant to keep that to myself.

yo mama said...

I just want to say CONGRATULATIONS RYAN! I am so happy for you and Holly!!! She is beautiful and must be amazing to have finally caused you to give up bachelorhood!!! Anyway, can't wait for the wedding. I am hoping to come--at least for the weekend. Have fun and hope to see you all soon!!!