okay. first, this is holly writing. as you can see, from the title of the blog, ryan approves this post. i figured i better take a turn updating on our adventures in china from my perspective. so far i really like china. i wish i could capture the smells. that would make the pictures i'm about to post far more interesting. the people in china for the most part are really nice, they are super fast and efficient at their work (remind me to tell about the guys who worked at cold stone...) and they aim to please. not a fan of the squatter toliets. ryan hasn't even had to use one yet, but i'm a frequent user. since ryan last posted we spent a day and a half in hong kong and now we are in shanghai for the rest of our trip.
hong kong was an awesome city. truly where east meets west. the first day we took a cable car up to the top of a mountain and then hiked to see the big buddha. awesome. pictures to come. later that night we got lost in the city trying to get back to our hotel and walked around for what seemed like forever (probably about 45 min). finally i was so tired that we just had to sit down. we sat on a little bench and i looked up and (with concourses of angels singing in the background) there was our hotel! standing in all its glory just a few steps ahead of us. the next day we again, miraculously found the hong kong temple. we had the address, but no map of the city. we were sitting in the mall (all the metro stations lead you to a mall) and ryan looked out the window (again with the angels singing) and spotted the angel moroni! so, we just started heading in that direction and found it really quickly. we just hung out on the grounds for a little while and then decided to go eat some really disgusting cheap chinese food for lunch before we caught our train back to the guangzhou. my favorite thing at the train station was when one of the women working there started telling everyone who was trying to board the train "please crowd the front!" (or in other words...what is with this lining up business? just crowd the front and work your way in!)
dang, this post is already getting too long and today was the most interesting. we went to the factory today (no pictures...sorry). we will have to write about it more later. the GM of the factory was super nice and took us out to lunch. not only was he nice enough to take us out to lunch but he was nice enough to order the following dishes:
jellyfish
crab brains (it was entire crab that you have to disect yourself...the brains are the most delectable part)
vension ribs (still on the rib...)
cow stomach
peking duck skin (why eat the meat when you can eat the skin?)
we ate them all. kind of. i was seriously laughed at for my awkward use of chopsticks. still need to practice that. we are about to go eat dinner, so i will have to post the pictures later!
4 comments:
Oh my goodness! I miss you so much and having you in China, and me not knowing that you were going to China, makes me miss you more! What an adventure! I can't wait to hear all about it when you get home. Well, that is if we are ever able to talk on the phone at the same time... Anyway I love your guts and I hope that you guys have an awesome time. Love ya
Ask for a fork! They've got 'em. It's no fair to make you use chopsticks when they've been practicing all their lives.
Mmmmmmm, stinky China...looking forward to it!
That's crazy about your hotel and the temple. Have you been eating tons of McD's? I swear I ate more of that when I was in China then I've ever had here in my entire life.
See you soon!
Well, about 3/4 of the way through the meal they got me a fork, but I was happy to stick with the chopsticks even though they were laughing at me because it meant that I just had to eat little nibbles of the crab brain instead of big bites! :) And, yes, we have eaten so much McDonalds! It makes me laugh. I think the last time I ate McDonalds was when I was in Romania. I've become obsessed with food this trip for some reason. I'm always craving ice cream even though I don't normally eat it in the States and I feel like I can never tell if I am hungry or not, but I always want to eat food. It's weird. I love China though.
I think I spent more money on Haagen Dazs than anything else while I was there. All my friends thought I was a fatty. Is it because it's the only thing that tastes really good and normal? Who knows. That's funny about your food obsession.
I love your pictures! Those statues are AMAZING. Where is that?
Excited to see you on the 4th! Have a good flight home.
Post a Comment